Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Breaking through barriers

When I wrote my first post on September 14, 2014, I weighed 201 pounds and my goal for quite a period of time was to get below the 200 level.  I finally did that on November 8, 2014, but the next day jumped right back up above 200.  Finally on November 11, 2014, I went below 200 and have mostly stayed there.  I use My Fitness Pal to keep track of my weight.  I could use the app to track what I eat and how much I exercise, but I choose not to.

I did keep the weight down over Thanksgiving.  I have really tried to make the holidays more about people and not about food.  On December 1, 2014, I weighed 199.4 pounds and on January 1, 2015, I weighed 192.4.

There was a period of time that I felt my food choices were getting sloppy, so I asked a friend of mine to keep me accountable and that has helped tremendously.  We talk daily on Facebook and I would tell her what I was eating and she would make recommendations.  She recommended I not eat red meat or pork, which I have not done and she recommended I not eat bread.  I do not include red meat or pork on our menu.  Our menu does consist of chicken, turkey and fish.  I am not always good about the bread.  I do allow myself a sweet during the day, which is usually after dinner and lately that has been yogurt with a topping.  Many of these decisions have come from what I see working and not working.

At the beginning of the year, I did set a goal of losing two pounds per month, which has not happened, until the month of April.  My accountability partner was gone on vacation at the end of March and I decided to set a structured food plan for myself, which has helped.  I, also, learned that having something other than salads for lunch was not working.  My structured food plan consists of cereal with fruit for breakfast, trail mix for morning snack, salad for lunch, trail mix for afternoon snack and whatever is on the menu for dinner.  As of today, I weigh 187.8 and I have about 18 pounds to lose to reach my goal of 170.

This process has taken work, but it has been worth it.  In regards to exercise, I still walk between 2.5-5 miles as many days as I can.  When I don't walk, I feel the difference in my attitude.

I hope you will follow me as I strive to reach my goal and if you want to make suggestions or leave comments, please do.  I need all the help I can get.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Trudi --- way to go! Proud of you for reaching your goals. I too am on a weight loss program. My trainer (also certified in nutrition) has given me a list of food do's and don'ts. I do my best to stick to it. Trail mix and cereal are definitely not on the list. :( I can eat red meat as long as it's lean.

    Good luck and continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your progress! I'm a firm believer in healthy habits, and if they lead to weight loss, all the better. I hope you take time to love and nurture yourself emotionally along the journey. True beauty isn't something we attain, it's something we already are. :)

    ReplyDelete